Community Service Society Photographs

Rare Book & Manuscript Library @ Columbia University

Old Men's Toy Shop Album -- Old Men's Toy Shop

Old Men's Toy Shop Album -- Old Men's Toy Shop
CSS Description
Box 296 Folder 4 #1587 Photographer probably Jessie Tarbox Beals In "1915 Year Book and 72nd Annual Report" of AICP (1914- 1915) Picture, at bottom of page, facing p. 25. Old Men's Toy Shop "Some of the finished toys in the salesroom at 416 Lafayette Street." P. 29 same report. "... men who, by reason of old age or physical handicap... "It is to give to these men, particularly to those with families, a chance to earn something that the Relief Bureau assumed in September the responsibility of carrying on the 'Old Men's Workshop' which for several months had been kept in operation through the individual effort of Miss Christine S. Foster and the courtesy of Bishop Greer in giving space in the Diocesan House of the Episcopal Church, 4l6 Lafayette Street, for carrying on this work. The shop will continue to be under the direction of Miss Foster, the Relief Bureau assiting her in every way to increase its usefulness and to make it a means of self-help to aged and infirm men." Photo from: Old Men's Toy Shop Album From: King's Handbook of Hew York City. Planned, edited and published by Moses King, Boston, Mass. Copyright, 1892 and 1893. Page 407. "The Diocesan House, 29 Lafayette Place,* was opened in 1888, as a See House for the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of New York. The house originally belonged to Miss Catherine L. Wolfe, the munificent benefactor of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and of Grace Church; and was given by her for its present purpose...." * Lafayette Place subsequently disappeared into Lafayette Street and 29 became 416. The house flanked "Colonnade Row" on the South - see pictures at pages 408 and 627 in above book - "formerly the residences of New York's most eminent citizens, and the brilliant centre of New York's intellectual supremacy."
Item Information
Title
Old Men's Toy Shop Album -- Old Men's Toy Shop
Date
circa 1914-1915
Item Number
47
Photograph Number
1587
Format
photographs
Corporate Designation
New York Association for Improving the Condition of the Poor
Borough
Manhattan
Street Names
Lafayette Street, 416
Annotation on Back
From: Old Men's Toy Shop Album
Places
New York (N.Y.)
Topics
Wooden toys; Toys; Toy stores; Stores, Retail; Interiors
Names
Old Men's Toy Shop (New York, N.Y.)
Creators
Beals, Jessie Tarbox
Box and Folder Number
12: 96
CSS Description
Box 296 Folder 4 #1587 Photographer probably Jessie Tarbox Beals In "1915 Year Book and 72nd Annual Report" of AICP (1914- 1915) Picture, at bottom of page, facing p. 25. Old Men's Toy Shop "Some of the finished toys in the salesroom at 416 Lafayette Street." P. 29 same report. "... men who, by reason of old age or physical handicap... "It is to give to these men, particularly to those with families, a chance to earn something that the Relief Bureau assumed in September the responsibility of carrying on the 'Old Men's Workshop' which for several months had been kept in operation through the individual effort of Miss Christine S. Foster and the courtesy of Bishop Greer in giving space in the Diocesan House of the Episcopal Church, 4l6 Lafayette Street, for carrying on this work. The shop will continue to be under the direction of Miss Foster, the Relief Bureau assiting her in every way to increase its usefulness and to make it a means of self-help to aged and infirm men." Photo from: Old Men's Toy Shop Album From: King's Handbook of Hew York City. Planned, edited and published by Moses King, Boston, Mass. Copyright, 1892 and 1893. Page 407. "The Diocesan House, 29 Lafayette Place,* was opened in 1888, as a See House for the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of New York. The house originally belonged to Miss Catherine L. Wolfe, the munificent benefactor of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and of Grace Church; and was given by her for its present purpose...." * Lafayette Place subsequently disappeared into Lafayette Street and 29 became 416. The house flanked "Colonnade Row" on the South - see pictures at pages 408 and 627 in above book - "formerly the residences of New York's most eminent citizens, and the brilliant centre of New York's intellectual supremacy."