Community Service Society Photographs

Rare Book & Manuscript Library @ Columbia University

Line Outside Emergency Work Bureau

Line Outside Emergency Work Bureau
CSS Description
(Three duplicate prints. There are also several photos, which appear to have been taken at the same time but not used in the pamphlet, of men working in what looks like a zoo. See Extra Print File.) #6363 Unknown Photographer In pamphlet entitled "Report of the Emergency Employment Committee, New York City; October 1, 193O - July 1, 1931." 52 pages. Picture facing page 11. Caption: The long, long line as it waited each morning for the opening of the doors of the Emergency Work Bureau. Photograph taken at 6:30 A.M. on November 17th. The Emergency Work Bureau Committee was a joint effort in the first years of the Depression of AICP, COS, Catholic Charities, and Jewish Social Service Association. W. H. Matthews of the AICP was Director and the section entitled, "How the Fund Was Spent," pp. 11-38, was written "by him. As any CSS employee knows [in 1970], the "building in the picture is the United Charities Building, 105 East 22 Street, corner of Park South and 22nd Street. The Emergency Work Bureau was on the first floor, corner office.
Item Information
Title
Line Outside Emergency Work Bureau
Date
November 17, 1930
Item Number
626
Photograph Number
6363
Format
photographs
Borough
Manhattan
Street Names
East 22nd Street, 105
Places
New York (N.Y.)
Topics
United Charities Building (New York, N.Y.); Unemployed; Streets; Office buildings; Men; Employment agencies; Crowds; Buildings; Automobiles
Box and Folder Number
300: 3
CSS Description
(Three duplicate prints. There are also several photos, which appear to have been taken at the same time but not used in the pamphlet, of men working in what looks like a zoo. See Extra Print File.) #6363 Unknown Photographer In pamphlet entitled "Report of the Emergency Employment Committee, New York City; October 1, 193O - July 1, 1931." 52 pages. Picture facing page 11. Caption: The long, long line as it waited each morning for the opening of the doors of the Emergency Work Bureau. Photograph taken at 6:30 A.M. on November 17th. The Emergency Work Bureau Committee was a joint effort in the first years of the Depression of AICP, COS, Catholic Charities, and Jewish Social Service Association. W. H. Matthews of the AICP was Director and the section entitled, "How the Fund Was Spent," pp. 11-38, was written "by him. As any CSS employee knows [in 1970], the "building in the picture is the United Charities Building, 105 East 22 Street, corner of Park South and 22nd Street. The Emergency Work Bureau was on the first floor, corner office.